Liver has been routinely called natures most potent superfood. There aren’t a lot of foods that can compare to the micronutrient profile of liver. Liver is an extremely rich source of B vitamins. It is also rich in the fat soluble vitamins A and D. An interesting fact about liver is that it’s one of the only animal protein sources of vitamin C. Liver is rich in potassium, magnesium, calcium, iron, phosphorous, copper, and zinc. If you have been unsure on how to add liver into your diet, this recipe is a fantastic starting block! Happy Thanksgiving!
Grain Free Sausage Stuffing
1 loaf of grain free bread - see below for a homemade option
4 cloves garlic, chopped
3 Tbsp grass fed ghee, divided
1 red pepper, small diced
1 red onion, small diced
3 stalks celery, small diced
3 oz chicken livers, small diced
1.5 lbs pasture raised Italian chicken sausage, casing removed
1 bunch parsley, chopped
1 Tbsp dried rosemary
1 Tbsp dried sage
1 Tbsp dried thyme
1 tsp sea salt
6 pastured eggs
1 bunch green onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Cut bread into sliced. Slather with ghee and top with minced garlic. Place in oven and bake for 15 min or until toasty brown.
- While your bread is toasting, heat a large cast iron skillet and add remaining ghee, red onion, celery, red pepper, dried herbs, liver, and chicken sausage. Break apart sausage meat so it mimics ground chicken. Cook until chicken and liver has fully cooked.
- Add parsley and stir to combine.
- Once the bread is toasted, remove from the oven and let cool. Once it has cooled, cut into small cubes and add cues to a large mixing bowl. Combine chicken sausage mixture and eggs and stir to combine.
- Press into a casserole dish and bake for 15-20 min. When done, remove from oven and top with green onions. Serve immediately.
Grain Free Sandwich Bread
- 1 1/2 cups Ottos Cassava Flour
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup melted ghee
- 5 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 9 eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Put dry ingredients in food processor and process. Add wet ingredients and blend until creamy. Your dough will be runnier than a typical bread recipe.
- Pour into greased loaf pan and bake until nice and brown approximately 45- 50 min or until the top is golden brown.